Protect Yourself at All Times
by Michelle Brooks
- I didn’t change the locks
- and the video camera records
- without tape. If there was a fire,
- I wouldn’t know what to save.
- I took the batteries out of the smoke
- detector. The sounds on the street
- have ceased to mean anything other
- than that I am alive enough to know
- danger, headed toward me like
- overnight guests that have let me
- know they are on their way.
Packingtown Review – Vol.11, Spring 2019
Michelle Brooks has published a collection of poetry, Make Yourself Small (Backwaters Press), and a novella, Dead Girl, Live Boy (Storylandia Press).