On The Good Ship Lollipop (It's a Quick Trip to the Candy Shop)
by Robert Nazarene
- The Lord God All-Mommy commanded
- me to to let my heart sing with joy, to become:
- as if a child.
- I turned into Shirley Temple and climbed
- way up-up onto Mr. Goldwyn’s tummy
- and danced and danced,
- up and down, up and down, up and down. Whew!
- Mr. Goldwyn became: as if a child, too,
- and roared and roared like a great big lion.
- I made a million bucks
- on that picture. And 10 points on the vig.
- It was 1935. He really lapped it up.
Packingtown Review – Vol.5, Fall 2013
Robert Nazarene is the recipient of a National Book Critic's Circle award and founded MARGIE / The American Journal of Poetry and IntuiT House Poetry Series. His volume of poems is CHURCH. His work has appeared in Ploughshares, Salmagundi, The Journal of The American Medical Association, STAND (U.K.) and elsewhere. He was educated at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown University.